Wednesday, March 3, 2010

School supplies..

Ok so I've decided to put Juliana in summer school this summer so that she can get a head start on what Kindergarten will be like and a jump start on some of the things they'll be doing so she won't have trouble understanding certain things. Not that I think she's going to have a problem doing this, but I just want her to feel as comfortable as possible and not have any issues on her first day of the school year. She's super excited to start, and we even started looking at "cool" backpacks. I know exciting right?

So today I went onto the schools website to see the school supply list and I think it's stupid. Almost everything they want your child to have is Large this, name brand that. I can't put her name on her stuff, and they want us to get things that are obviously not for the kids. Such as package of dry eraser markers, 2 large boxes of ziploc bags (1 gallon, 1 quart), 3 large bottles of hand sanitizer, etc. I'm sorry if I sound selfish or whatever you want to call it, but I don't think its the responsibilities of the parents to provide the teachers supplies!! Make the school or the teacher. When I was  in school I remember getting the list but getting to pick what kinds of crayons and folders I wanted. Now they have it down to color, brand and what it has to look like. Not fun, not cool. Am I being too picky or what? I don't mind providing for my kid, but I'm  not the teachers mom and I'm not the other students responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. Nope, you're not being picky. The school district doesn't have enough money anymore to provide for each classroom, and to make the "less fortunate" kids feel better, they make everything community supplies. Let the kids suffer if he doesn't have "crayola" brand, I didn't and I really don't think it hurt my integrity! It's all part of the whole "no child left behind" and I don't agree with it either! BUT, us getting mad about it isn't going to change it. Us trying to get the district to change it isn't even going to fix it. Don't worry, about 4th grade they are community supplies anymore though!!

    ReplyDelete

 

Bursey Ramblings | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Cuppy Cupcakes Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates